Sunday, April 02, 2006

Catch up time...

So my semester is over, now all that's left is a lab exam tomorrow night, and 5 regular exams throughout April. I have managed to do some cooking in the last week or so. I've been pretty busy. Billy's brother Brian is in town visiting from Winnipeg, so we've been going out a lot. I think I've been out more in the last week than I have been the whole semester! We went to Science North on Friday. It was fun, but I think its more for people who maybe aren't science majors :P A lot of the demonstrations and things there were things I do in class and lab all the time. But it was Billy's birthday, so it was his day :).

Being his birthday, it was a great excuse to make a cake! So I made the double chocolate cake from Sinfully Vegan for him. Its a rich chocolate cake with 4 layers, covered in chocolate cream cheese icing and some blended chocolate chips. Dang it was good. I think there's only one piece left after a day and a half! If you're going to make this one, make sure you have plenty of soymilk on hand. It took me about three glasses of soymilk to finish eating my piece, haha. Mmmmm, so delicious.














I didn't cook a birthday dinner though. For that, we went to East Side Mario's. My brother came along too. I don't think I've laughed so hard in months. Those three guys together are hilarious. I barely talked, just laughed. Last night, we went to Ice Age 2 as an extension of the birthday day, cuz we couldn't make it on Friday nite. It was so funny and really cute. I think we picked a bad time though. We were the only adults there not accompanying children! I mean, I understand that children will make noise, but if your kid starts wailing in the theatre, you should probably leave the theatre for a minute or two for a timeout! Plus the kid beside me was throwing popcorn, mostly in my direction, and there was no parental interference there. But popcorn covered or not, it was a fun movie.

During the week, I made chunky fettuccine with fresh herbs and vegetables from CalciYum!; it was a sauce made with bok choy, acorn squash, soymilk, basil, parsley and some seasonings. Yum! I've never had acorn squash before, and its great. It works really well in the sauce, it thickens it up and doesn't overpower the taste. I used whole wheat fettuccine.




























Also from CalciYum!, I made the figgy bars. These consist of a fig layer between two cake like layers. They're really good, but I think I slightly undercooked them, so they're a bit mushy. If I had left them in a few minutes longer, they'd be perfect. They were a great snack for school.















Wow, I've been making a lot of desserts. On Monday, I also made Wolffie's cowpies from La Dolce Vegan. I am loving these "no bake" dessert recipes! Its awesome. You just make the batter, spoon it on a cookie sheet, stick it in the fridge and forget about it for an hour (well ok, you don't forget, I couldn't wait to try them!). These are soooo chocolatey! It's essentially raisins and walnuts covered in chocolate. I really enjoyed them. They were great as a quick dessert after dinner, and I had some left for snacks at school.














Well, that's what I've been up to. Now that exams are starting, I'll have more time at home, and hopefully I can get back to cooking and eating regular, healthy meals again. I'm planning on updating more often so that all these pictures don't build up and it doesn't take me forever to do my blog! :P

5 comments:

sarchan said...

Aw, the end of the semester . . . I'm jealous! (Still a few more weeks to go for me + final exams and projects. Sigh.) Those fig bars look delicious. Also that fettucine looks really interesting; I really need to check and see if my library has the Cali-Yum book. Good luck with finals :)

Dreena said...

All these goodies look wonderful! The cake looks quite heavenly - definitely sinful! Good luck with your exams. :)

Bookphilia said...

Holy hell, Sudzgirl, that food looks awesome.

Congrats on the end of term! Is this your last year? If so, will you be moving to the big city?

Melissa said...

Thank you all! No it is not my last year, I have one year left for my B.Sc. and one for my B.Ed after that.

Michelle said...

all that food looks delish! i have to look to see if our library has Sinfully Vegan (i have a feelin' that i'm gonna be baking my own bday cake.. and this looks fab!).

i've been thinking you must be super busy these days, you haven't been posting much :( glad to have you back!!