Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Using up cilantro

I hate how whenver you need 1 tablespoon or 1/4 cup of a fresh herb for a recipe, and the store gives you a huge bundle. Sure, its cheap, but its so hard to use it up in time. I had bought cilantro for the tortilla chip soup I made, and ever since then have been planning my meals by finding recipes that call for it. The hummus pizza had it and now I've made a few more things this week to use it up. The rest, I froze.
Yesterday, I made the Quinoa Spring Salad from Vive le Vegan. I don't usually like salads that are eaten chilled or at room temperature, I usually don't like the flavours. But this is yummy! Organic quinoa, red pepper, cucumber, green onion, green peans, hemp seed nuts, pistachios, and simple cider vinaigrette. There's just a hint of the dressing in this salad and its a perfect balance. And of course, cilantro. It has beautiful colours too.












For dinner today, I made La Dolce Vegan's Aloo Mattar with chappati. I prefer this way more than the aloo gobi I made last week...this one wasn't too hot or spicy, it got its flavour from paprika and garam masala. Aloo mattar is a peas and potato curry. I really liked it...and I loved scooping it up with the flatbread, which was brushed with some olive oil and salt. Its a simple recipe with onion, ginger, garlic, organic tomato, potato, peas and veg stock...and it cooks quick too. Oh yes, and our friend, cilantro.
I also made LDV's roasted carrot coconut soup tonite, to eat tomorrow. Roasted carrots, onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass with coriander and garam masala are simmered with veg stock and then coconut milk is added and the whole thing is blended. Lime juice, salt and pepper, and cilantro adds the finishing touch. The roasted carrot gave the soup a beautiful burnt orange colour, which is exactly why I love carrot soups. I 'll show a picture tomorrow after I eat some for lunch :P
So now I can breathe easy knowing there isn't a big bag of cilantro rotting in my fridge ;)

I did a step class today on demandfitness...I have never been so UNcoordinated in my life...hopefully next time I'll improve ;)

5 comments:

liz said...

OMG that looks amazing. i don't have that cookbook, but i've made something similar with couscous before. i bet it was dee-lis.

Michelle said...

i LOVE that quinoa salad!! i make it all the time :)

Dori said...

I really like the quinoa salad too. I had some blog catch up reading to do... I enjoyed reading about your camping trip and testing for the food snob. Aloo Matar, my new loveis indian food.

KleoPatra said...

More great stuff, Melissa. I love what you made here. So nice. Quinoa is something i really, really need to get more into...

Melissa said...

kleo, I used to avoid quinoa too, unless a recipe specifically called for it. It was too hard to rinse it, but I finally found a really fine strainer that holds all of them in, and now its just as easy to make as rice. Actually, easier, it takes less time ;)