Saturday, October 07, 2006

Pumpkin

I made the pumpkin tofu cheesecake from La Dolce Vegan yesterday so that I wouldn't be too swamped in the kitchen today. I'll post that later. It only needed 1 cup of pumpkin, and I was left with well over half a large can of pureed pumpkin. So begins the journey of using up leftovers. I'm not a huge fan of using pumpkin in entrees, so it'll mostly be sweets.

For breakfast today I made a pumpkin smoothie. It's a variation on a recipe I found at FamilyFun.com ( I just googled pumpkin smoothie). I made it exactly the way the recipe said to, except with soymilk, but it wasn't good enough for me yet. So I added more milk because there was way too much pumpkin, and added some maple syrup...because what's pumpkin without maple syrup? It turned out pretty good. Here's my version of the recipe if you find yourself needing to use up some pumpkin this weekend:

Pumpkin smoothie
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup soymilk
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg (you can use the already ground up stuff too)
2 tsp. demarara sugar
4 ice cubes
1 tsp. maple syrup (or to taste)

Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Makes 1 large serving.

Pumpkin's good for you too! Its loaded with beta carotene (obviously) and according to some, can help curb the appetite and provides lots of fiber. But to me it's just plain yummy ;)

2 comments:

Carrie™ said...

I can't wait to hear about the cheesecake! Although I'm not a big pumpkin fan, I do like it in baked things, bread, muffins, etc. A few years ago I had pumpkin cheesecake for the first time (with dairy) and OMG! I loved it! I also can't wait to hear about your Thanksgiving feast. I'm working Sat. & Sun. which is OK. My naturopath has me on an anti-inflammatory diet for 2 weeks and I'm somewhat limited to what I can eat so I'm thinking we might have and Indian curried Thanksgiving. Have you ever had Tofurky roast before? What do you think of it?

Melissa said...

Carrie, I really enjoyed the Tofurky roast when I had it last Christmas! The stuffing and "turkey" itself tasted really good, especially with the gravy. And the other food it comes with, like the dumplings, are good too. I'd prefer to cook up my own big meal, but its great for when you don't have that muc time, or want a more "traditional" meal.