Wednesday, November 08, 2006

beans, beans...

I made the three bean curry soup from Vive le Vegan this weekend. I think it'll last me til next week! Its a good thing too. I've been really busy getting assignments done, going to my placement, etc, and wouldn't have had time to make a good lunch otherwise. Its spicy, but not too spicy. I'm a wimp when it comes to that. There's chickpeas, black beans and red lentils and they go together really well.













Also from Vive, Crispi squares. These are really unique. They didn't hold up as much as I would've liked, and they're not super crunchy, but they are delicious. Its soft when you bite through, but the rice crispies still have a bit of crunch to them. Other goodies in these squares: chocolate chips, hemp seed nuts, cranberries....and Billy liked them too!














My work shoes (that have some leather) have worn out after two years. I didn't buy any new ones til I absolutely had to. I finally found some vegan ones today, I'm really excited. Payless doesn't always have the greatest selection for us big-footed gals, so I had to buy men's work shoes, but they look the same pretty much. Woot! Now I just have to hurry up and finish school so I can stop working at the place that bruises my soul.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That soup is so pretty! Usually when I make bean soups they taste much better than they look. But yours is gorgeous! Way to go with the vegan shoes. I have big feet, too, so I know how hard it is... It also makes it hard to buy shoes online, because I often find that shoes that are adorable for a size 6 aren't so cute on my big canoe-feet!

Melissa said...

amen to that!

Melissa said...

No. Despite the big fuss I made about needing the recipe, I ended up buying gravy, and never got to try the recipe. I love chickpeas though, so I probably wouldn't find it too strong.

Anonymous said...

i haven't tried that soup or those bars.. me oh my those bars do look good! i have looked for some vegan rice krispy recipes before .. but, nothing looked like it would do.. who knew it was on my cookbook shelve all along??

Anonymous said...

Hey, the soup looks super! I've never used curry though, that's just a spice isn't it?
Same with the bars, but I've never used hemp seed nuts. I kind of feel like I could skip those ingredients in both recipes and still be alright?

Michelle said...

raising kahne.. i've made the VWAV chickpea gravy, and it was goooood! i actually froze half the batch for later, but it didn't stay in the freezer for very long ;)

tania.. you could skip the hemp seeds, either replace with sesame seeds, or just use more cranberries (or another dry ingredient). the bars are good, really good! i wouldn't skip the curry though. it's a spice (actually, store bought curry is a blend of spices, but that's another topic!). you can get it in small amounts from a bulk food store.. i don't know if you're in the US or Canada, but here in CND, we have a lovely place called Bulk Barn.

sorry to hog your post Melissa! that soup does look good, i can't believe i haven't made it yet!? i've been making soup alllll week!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful soup! I'm kind of wimpy when it comes to spices also. The combination of beans sounds delicious.

Melissa said...

Tania, the soup actually uses curry paste not the dry spice. You could cut down on the amount if you wanted less spice, but I think its an important part of the flavour, since all the veggies are sauteed in the paste.

Alaska, do you have How It All Vegan??? The squares in it are awesome.

Thanks Michelle, you're not hogging! You could leave out the hemp seeds. It was only 3/4 cup, so you could add more rice crispies, or like Michelle said, another dry ingredient (like the chocolate chips ;) )