Thursday, January 04, 2007

How vegetarianism becomes so confusing to many, and some food.

Overheard by Billy at Subway:

Girl: I'll have the cheese bread.
Subway Employee: Would you like cheese
on your sub?
Girl: No. I'm a vegetarian.
S. E: But you're having the
cheese bread...
Girl: Its not the same.

Ummmmm, yeah. That's all I have to say about that.

I've made lots of food, but I only have pictures for two things, I'll get more tomorrow. I made a few things from the Candle Cafe book. So far, I'm less than impressed. The lentil chowder is okay but is rather bland. It takes a lot of salt and extra seasoning for me to want to eat it, although I like that there's plenty of veggies in it (carrot, celery, squash, onion, tomato, etc). I served it with some brown basmati rice.














I also made the tofu scramble and home fries. The home fries are delicious and have Yukon and sweet potatoes, but the scramble is also bland, despite having many spices in it, somehow. I ate some leftovers in a toasted sandwich with ketchup and nacho cheese sauce, which was a bit of an improvement. Nevertheless, I'll persevere with this cookbook. I'm sure there are many great meals in it.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, soo your scramble looks soo flippen yummy in the picture! I guess from your reviews looks can be deceiving.. humm...
Happy New Year..
take care,
Julee

Melissa said...

Julee, it could just be my taste of course. I am not a huge fan of tofu scrambles (I much prefer tofu omelets!) but I like 'em enough, if its a good recipe.

Anonymous said...

oh.. see I Love me a tofu scramble.. back in the day of egg eating.. they only gave me a belly ache.. eggs that is no matter how they where cooked.. so, tofu for me was a very wonderful alternative I fell in love with..

Anonymous said...

Grrrr! That Subway conversation is so irritating. Yes, you're right. It probably is why vegetarianism is so confusing to most people. Sorry to hear the recipes from the Candle Cafe haven't worked out. I don't have the cookbook so I can't be of much help.

Michelle said...

arg! that is irritating. how is anyone supposed to understand vegetarianism/veganism with people like that walking around!? like, "i am a vegetarian.. i only eat chicken"!?!?!? ya, you're not a vegetarian if you eat MEAT honey!

ok, that cookbook is on my list of books that i want. pllllease tell me that you've found a winning recipe! i have only ever heard good things about the book.

Anonymous said...

Ya know, she is vegetarian (lacto of course) if she eats cheese, why she had to confuse the poor guy with that.... Ugh. And one more little gripe, if I hear one more person say that they're vegetarian, and that they eat fish I might just scream! If only I had a dollar for every time I was served fish as a vegetarian because people think all vegetarians eat fish...

Anonymous said...

frig you made that food! It looks delicious anyway I googled VEGAN sudbury ontario and your blog popped up. good to see there's others here!! If you'd like to get in touch:
modern.thing@gmail.com
I'd love to know if there's any good places to shop here, i just moved from toronto and it sure is different!!

Anonymous said...

Was she British by any chance? Because here some cheese is not vegetarian, as it's made with rennet. (I understand this is not a problem in the States.)

It's possible she knew the cheese in the bread was rennet-free, i.e. "vegetarian cheese" as it's known here. Therefore she wasn't being inconsistent at all!