Monday, October 11, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

So despite the fact that my "good" camera died, and the only one I have takes horrible pictures...I've decided I'll keep blogging with the pictures it takes. This blog keeps me motivated to cook good meals and to try new things.

So, hubby and I were in Nova Scotia this weekend for his brother's wedding, and I didn't do any groceries before leaving, so our Thanksgiving dinner is made with things that were on hand...more on that later. Aside from giving thanks tonight, we'll also be celebrating the fact that DH got a job that starts tomorrow. I won't go into details, but it's in his field that he went to school for. We'll all very excited. I'll post our cruelty-free Thanksgiving dinner later.

Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia (My first time seeing the Atlantic since I was a baby)


Meals before the trip were kept simple, this is a mac and cheese casserole with mozza daiya cheese and bread crumbs. Mmmmmm.


My friend and I get together every Sunday to cook some vegan food together. Last week it was jalapeno poppers (recipe follows) and stuffed mushrooms using the same filling from the poppers. I also tried a mushroom poppers recipe from The Vegan Table:





I added leftover bread crumbs on top for some crunch. These are quite nice, I would make them for parties.

Recipe for Jalapeno Poppers: (makes 32 servings, 1 serving is half a jalapeno)

1.5 containers Tofutti cream cheese, softened
1 cup cheddar cheese *used daiya, shredded
1 tablespoon simulated bacon bits
16 jalapenos, seeded and halved
1 cup non-dairy milk of your choice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup dry bread crumbs
oil for frying (we used canola)

1. In a bowl, mix the cream cheese with the cheese and bacon bits. Spoon mixture into jalapeno halves.
2. Put the milk and flour into separate bowls. Dip the stuffed jalapenos into the milk and then the flour, coating well. Allow the peppers to dry 5-10 minutes.
3. Dip the jalapenos in the milk and then roll them in the breadcrumbs. Let them dry again, and then repeat to ensure the jalapenos are well covered.
4. Heat the oil in a pan (enough for the poppers to deep fry, at least 4 inches). When oil is hot enough, deep fry the jalapeno poppers in batches for 2-3 minutes or until they are golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Serve hot.

These are certainly not healthy, but they're great for when you start craving junk foods you used to have!

1 comment:

Katherine said...

The mac and cheese looks yummy. I am going to have to try this.

Thanks for the idea!