Saturday, March 05, 2011

"What's left in the cupboard?" Food

I spent what little grocery budget we had left for the month on birthday food last weekend, so this week's meals were limited to what we already had in house. I think I did a pretty good job!

Breakfast for Dinner, Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Pancake mix, with added in chocolate chips and made with half milk and half water, as I didn't have enough soy milk. Luckily, I always stock pure maple syrup, so these were delicious!



Cheap and Easy Spanish Rice
This was created because I had rice and a jar of salsa and wanted to eat them together. Very simple, and I added in TVP for some protein. Billy liked this, so it was a bonus!



1 cup rice (I used arborio)
2 cups water
3/4-1 cup salsa
1 cup TVP, prepared
margarine
1 clove garlic, minced

On medium heat, saute the garlic and rice in butter for 1-2 minutes. Add water and salsa and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Stir in prepared TVP, and fluff with a fork. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.

Veggies and Dip
I had a bunch of prepared veggies left over from the party, so I whipped up the Thousand Island Dressing from Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food to dip them in. So yummy!



Chili and Cornbread-
Amazingly, I was able to make this chili from 125 Best Vegan Recipes with only what I had stocked (proving the importance of a well stocked pantry!). I changed up the beans based on what I had, so there's white kidney beans, black eyed peas, and kidney beans. I also made corn bread from QAEVCF. While I don't particularly love eating corn bread as a side, I love crumbling it right into the chili.


So those were my pantry adventures for the week. Next, the seemingly decadent meals I make after having done groceries today! :P

1 comment:

caroline ross said...

OMG this chili was to DIE for! and the corn bread was meltable! LOVED IT !