Here's the recipe we used to make homemade spring rolls for my birthday. We don't deep fry stuff at home but it was an occasion :) Next time, we want to try this filling in rice paper rolls to make them healthier.
Spring Rolls (makes up to 24 spring rolls)
Frozen spring roll wrappers(Spring Home Tyj is the brand we had), defrosted
1 1/4 cup chopped carrots
3 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
2 bundles clear noodles (bean thread)
1 teaspoon white pepper powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 tablespoons light soy sauce
3 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
1/4 cup plum sauce mixed with red chili pepper jelly
1. Soak the bean thread noodles in hot water until soft. Remove from water and cut the bundle into four or five pieces.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan/wok. Turn heat down to med-high. Add minced garlic and saute a minute.
3. Add carrots, noodles. Mix them well.
4. Add cabbage and mix well. Stir until cooked.
5. Add white pepper powder and soy sauce. Stir well.
6. Put the filling into a bowl. Set aside to cool down.
7. Lay a wrapper in front of you with a corner pointing towards you and spread 2 tablespoons of the filling horizontally. Fold the bottom of the wrapper up over the filling and gently press it down. Fold in both sides of the wrapper and continue to roll the spring roll towards the top. Brush the top corner with a bit of soymilk or water to seal.
8. Heat oil until hot. Turn heat down to med.
9. Deep fry a few rolls at a time until they turn golden brown, flipping them in the oil if needed.
10. Drain on paper towels to absorb excess oil
11. Serve with plum sauce and enjoy!