Thursday, July 13, 2006

tortilla chip soup

For lunch today, I made La Dolce Vegan's Black bean tortilla chip soup with avocado tomato salsa...whew, that's a mouthful...and so is the soup...a mouthful of flavour!! It was great. I don't usually like avocado, but in the salsa, it goes really well with the soup. Black beans were made for soup, in my opinion. Its a great way to get some healthy food into you. The soup was made with veg. stock, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, beans and chili powder. It was garnished with the salsa (tomato, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, green onion) and whole wheat tortilla chips. Now unless you have a small serving, this soup is pretty filling and you may have to watch what you eat for the rest of the day. Based on fitday.com there's about 600 calories in one serving (half the pot) and 30 grams of fat, probably from the beans and avocado. However, there is almost 20 grams of fiber, 17 grams of protein, and its high in iron, vitamins C, B-6, E, A and K, as well as folate.

3 comments:

Carrie™ said...

I've read recipes for tortilla chip soup, but have never actually had it. Your photo looks yummy.
I guess you're not getting the crummy, hot, humid weather up there in Sudbury. It's gross down here. I'd love some soup. I'm a real soup fan, but not when it's 30+ and humidex on top of that.
I will keep this soup in mind though. I like all of the ingredients you mentioned and am intrigued.

Melissa said...

I really like the idea of using tortilla chips instead of crackers, its really good. Oh, it was hot here yesterday, but I wanted soup :P

Melissa said...

No, they have some fat...but most of that fat came from the avocado and the chips.