Monday, October 16, 2006

Frolicking in the Fountain (of chocolate!)

Our trip to Ottawa this weekend was fantastic. The Sens lost 1-0 to the Flames, so Billy was happy and gloating. But I still enjoyed the game. Our cat Logan, and their dog Blue DID NOT get along...hint: Never try and break up a cat/dog fight! I have a huge gash on my middle finger, several scratch marks on my arms and a claw mark on my foot...I almost needed a blood transfusion this weekend. Blue was not vicious, he was just used to acting a certain way with their cat, and Logan was not having it. This picture is of Blue escaping the wrath of the cat...who freaked out if he got too close... I love how possessed the cat looks!
cat and dog
As always, Billy's parents were amazingly adaptable and had great food for me...soymilk, veggie dogs, sausage links, and pepperoni for pizza. Shirl and Steve made me a yummy veggie pizza with the pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, pineapple and tomato. Mmmm mmmm, who needs cheese?
veggie pizza
For our "thanksgiving" feast, I brought a tofurkey, with the apple dumplings and giblet gravy. Add in some corn and peas, and you've got a complete meal. Steve actually cooked the roast for me on the BBQ...it turned out great. No pictures of the roast.
Aside from all the pies everyone ate, and my fudge pecan pie, Shirl also set up a chocolate fondue fountain! It was glorious in all its magnificent beauty...that's right, I love chocolate that much. We had all kinds of fruit to dip in it, and the boys dipped in marshmallows too. Shirl made sure to get vegan chocolate to use.
fondue fountain
So, that was our trip...I love visiting Billy's family, its like an extension of my own family. Hopefully we don't have to wait until Christmas to do it again.

This week will be a stressful one, so I don't know how much I'll be cooking. I may have to subsist on canned beans and such!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could bathe myself in that fountain.

Ouch...breaking up a cat and downfight never ends well. I had to cancel my 16th birthday party mid-way through after breaking apart my cat from a fight with a dog. It the midst of the madness she bit though my thumb and into the bone. Ouch...I had to get shots and stay overnight at the hospital just so they could 'watch' me.

Melissa said...

Wow! your story is way worse than mine! That sucks it ruined your party! My scratch is purpling, but I'm hoping that is just because it was pretty deep...no cat scratch fever please!!

LOL, bathing in that fountain would be fun, especially with a partner ;)

Anonymous said...

OH my gosh! I am so glad you commented on my blog. I knew I had see a stuffed tofu somewhere, and my mom offered to try and make it for me for Thanksgiving, but I couldn't remember where I had seen it. It look excellent by the way.

And.. that cat looks like the devil. Praise seitan.

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit to your blog, and I just wanted to comment about how much I loved your post. Your trip sounds so great, and everyone was so accomodating of your eating! I wish my parents or in-laws were half as understanding...
And I'm sorry about your finger, but I *love* tha picture of the cat. Holy Friday the 13th, batman!

Michelle said...

i've never tried a chocolate fountain :( it looks delicious!

Melissa said...

Tania, that's too bad you didn't find it in time...and you have LDV too, don't you? I really recommend it, if you or your mom has the time to make it someday...once your teeth are better of course ;)

bazu, thanks for stopping by and commenting. You're right, I am very lucky to have such great inlaws. Billy is one of three boys, so when we started dating, I think his mom was excited to finally have a "daughter"...so maybe that helped a lot, haha.

Thanks Michelle. Of course, if you don't have a fountain fondue for chocolate, you can alway do the regular kind...its still chocolate!

Harmonia said...

Did you have a good time at the game?

This chocolate fountain looks fun! LOVE the animal pic. The black cat looks like my lil precious who passed away a few years ago. She lived to be 21!!!

Melissa said...

harmonia, I had a great time, even though Ottawa lost ;) I think we had the most traffic in our row than any other...we had the typical guys that show up late just when you're getting settled, and then got busted for bringing their own alcohol, so they, and the security guys were going back and forth in front of us (and on my toes!) for a while.

Wow, your cat lived a long life! I'm glad, and I hope both my cats live that long too.


thanks raising_kahne. I *am* very lucky. They almost didn't make it. It was getting late and I started to think there would be no fondue for me...but just when I was losing hope she started it up :)

Anonymous said...

yikes, sorry about your scratches!

I'm thinking the chocolate fountain must have helped though - doesn't get much better than a fountain - of chocolate! ...not sure if I could pull myself away from that. :)

Melissa said...

Thanks Dreena. They're healing, slowly but surely.

Luckily I was still a little full from dinner and also wanted a slice of fudge pecan pie, so I didn't go overboard with the fondue.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...chocolate!

That pizza looks awesome! I absolutely love pineapple on pizza...it's just so perfect!

Melissa said...

Isn't it?? I've only recently started adding it to pizza...and fresh pineapple makes a huge difference.