Saturday, September 01, 2007

The end of summer

I finally buckled down and cooked again. It'll be nice to start school, just so I can get back to my regular routines of cooking and exercise.

From Looneyspoons I made the "Canajun" rice and beans, a mix between Canadian and Cajun flavours. I'm not posting the recipe because I didn't really need to change any of the ingredients, it was in the vegetarian section. I really like this dish, there's some spice but not too much.

From Cooking for the Rushed, I made the chicken pot pie. I adapted it by using fake PC chicken strips, Earth Balance and soymilk, and instead of using prepared Pillsbury biscuits, I made mine from scratch, using the baking powder biscuits from La Dolce Vegan. This dish is amazing!! I love the idea of placing biscuits on top of the pie, instead of spreading a crust. And the biscuits are phenomenal!

I had a craving for fried foods last night after work, so I decided to try my hand at cheesesticks. They actually turned out pretty good. I cut up Follow Your Heart Mozza cheese into mini sticks, and then dipped them in a flour/arrowroot mix, an egg replacer/water mix and then a breadcrumbs/ Italian seasoning mix....and then redid that. I fried them in oil for about 30 seconds and then sprinkled them with a bit of salt and parmesan. They really hit the spot! I want to refine the seasoning a bit, but they're a great occasional snack.


Back to school Tuesday, better hit the mall for some school supplies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey darlin'! Glad to see you back at it. Miss ya!

Aunt Teri:)

Judy said...

I have made the Canajun dish too, and loved it.

What a great idea for mozza sticks - that seems like one of the harder dishes to veganize.

Carrie™ said...

I also made the Canajun rice dish and thought it was amazing. Three votes makes it a winner!! In one of those books, I'm not sure which one there's a recipe called Sentilentil Journey with rice & lentils. OMG! It's soooo good. Try it! Great idea with the cheeze sticks. I find the Follow Your Heart mozzarella is so close to the real thing, most wouldn't know the difference.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

that tiramisu in your previous post looks really really good! You've inspired me tto try it!