Friday, March 05, 2010

Friends are the vegan bacon bits in the salad bowl of life!

My dreams have come true again and I finally have a vegan friend! She decided to try it out for a while, and borrowed some of my cookbooks, then bought some for herself. We've been getting together every Sunday to cook vegan meals together, along with a few other friends. This Sunday, we had our hands full with crab cakes and seitan potpie....

Almost All-American Seitan Potpie- Veganomicon
This was the girls' first time working with seitan and they were a little freaked out by the look and texture of it. The V'con recipe calls for it to be baked, which makes it chewier, but it turned out alright with the rest of the ingredients. My friends made the crust, which turned out so flaky and tender...better than I could've done I have to say. A very good meal!




Cinnamon Rolls- Vegan Brunch

I made these the same night, although my friend also brought the cinnamon pinwheels from V'con....so good! These cinnamon rolls were delicious! Also, they freeze well. Just warm them up for 30 seconds to soften them up. Mmmmmmmmm. Perfect breakfast on the way to work!



Tempeh Crab Cakes with Remoulade- Vegan Brunch
These were also part of our vegan cooking night. I am never successful with patties and this night was no different, although I can at least share the blame with two other people since it was a team effort. The patties had to be made very small in order to stick together, and most of them still fell apart while frying. However, they are delicious and we ate these up with remoulade very fast! So now I just have to figure out how to make them look nice too! They don't taste like crab, although there's nori in them, but they're good on their own. Excuse the fluorescent lit picture!



Random picture of Dill with Auntie Caroline!




Tex-Mex Burritos- Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food


This was our weeknight meal. It was quick and easy, like the book says, which was perfect on a night when I had a homework deadline. Pinto beans, corn, avocado and lime, tomotoes, lettuce, salsa, cheese and sour cream. Yum! Nothing fancy, but it hits the spot.


11 comments:

Amanda said...

Nice blog! Perhaps you'd be interested in mine too! Right now I'm hosting a giveaway of 2 dozen homemade vegan cookies, your choice of flavor! Enter to win and spread the word. GO VEG!!!

www.stumptowncrunch.blogspot.com

Claudia said...

Yay for vegan friends! The burrito looks really tasty. :-)

Ashling said...

Love your blog! I'm 2 weeks a vegan (after reading Skinny Bitch!) so its great to have some ideas for meals.

xo

Allison, The Busy (Happy!) Vegan said...

It's really an amazing experience when somebody joins you in your veganism. My mother recently became vegan, and it's been great! Not only do you have someone to share recipes and fun with, but you get to feel like you made a small difference by living happily vegan, and demonstrating what a great choice it can be. Enjoy your friend and the food!

Anonymous said...

yum..another yummy treat to be added on my bookmark..keep posting :)

ashley said...

Veganomicon is great (:


And I agree, having vegan friends is awesome. It's a great way to stay on track and it also is a huge encourager to try new things with vegan foods.

Also, you have a person who knows what a struggle it can be (with the way some people see it) and how rewarding it is.
(:

Nice blog!
I'll try to make a couple of these, maybe even for my potluck tomorrow.

rgjr4444 said...

GREAT NEW VEGAN CHEESE
WE CAN'T SAY ITS CHEESE
WWW.WAYFAREFOODS.COM

Anonymous said...

What kind of Sour Cream is that.. Doesnt that contain dairy lol clearly this is a REALLY dumb question lol

Anonymous said...

Anonymous this is a new vegan cheese product made from oatmeal.

Shelvasha said...

Hi there! Love the blog! I'm trying to find the follow or subscribe button, and I don't know where to go *I'm bad with finding things*

Check out my site when you have a minute

My site is vegancanteen.blogspot.com

Enjoyed reading your blog!

Wholesome Chow said...

Thanks for sharing all of your adventures in vegan cooking! I've been enjoying reading your blog! Check out my website, www.WholesomeChow.com. We have an awesome Decadent Vegan Baking Mixes product line! Hope you're enjoying this beautiful day!