Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I'm back!

I took a break from cooking. First, because Billy was out of town and I felt lazy and lived like a bachelor, and then when he was back we just wanted to hang out so I didn't want to be in the kitchen all night. Plus the weather has been so nice, we uncovered the BBQ, and that's Billy's domain :). But, I've done my groceries and I'm ready to jump back into it...

Vanilla ice cream cake with caramel sauce- Vive le Vegan

This is a vanilla cake layered with banana, caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. I left out the pecans so Billy would eat it too. Next time, I'll make the sauce with a darker sugar...but very good.


Chicken Cacciatore with pasta-Vegan Slow Cooker

This was easy to prepare. I just had to slice up some green pepper, onion and garlic, and mix it with marinara and seasonings. It cooked with the PC Meatless chicken in the slow cooker, and we just made some pasta in the evening. Very filling!



Caesar salad with sourdough garlic croutons- Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Foods
I whipped this up quickly last night to go with the chicken cacciatore. The dressing is very easy. I only reduced the amount of capers, since I'm not a huge fan. The croutons are so yummy!



Brownies- Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
Made at Billy's request for Fox's cartoon night....easily one of the best brownies I've ever made!Nice and chewy. Make them!

12 comments:

singaporepursegirl said...

Hi there,

I love your blog and your recipes look fabulous. I'm just curious if you have a hard time finding ingredients, etc...in Sudbury, Ontario? If you wouldn't mind sharing that info. I'd greatly appreciate.

Many thanks!

Melissa said...

Thanks pursegirl! Sudbury has gotten more vegan friendly since I moved here. I don't really have a hard time. There are two health food stores where I can find most ingredients if the Superstore doesn't have it. Superstore has a great natural/health section with lots of vegan options. Are you in Sudbury? If so, I'd be happy to give you the names of some stores and restaurants that are vegan friendly :)

singaporepursegirl said...

Thank you so much! I'm not in Sudbury now, but I'm 'going home' in July and I'm trying to prepare. I've been veggie in Sudbury w/o too many hitches but now that I've gone vegan - I'm worried! The last time I was in Sudbury, about a year ago - the pickings were slim.
I'd love any recommendations.

Thank you!
Bianca

Melissa said...

Happy to help!

For food:
1)Superstore
2)Bulk Barn (specialty flours, sugars, spices, etc)
3)Durham Natural Foods on Montrose Ave.
4)Paris Natural Foods on Paris St (this is where I get most vegan stapes, sour cream, cheese, margarine, cream cheese, etc)
Most grocery stores carry vegetarian items, but I find the Superstore and Independents to be the best.

Restaurants
1) My Thai Palace has lots of veggie options
2) Laughing Buddha, lots of veggie options and you can request to leave cheese off items. Hummus, etc
3) Osaka Sushi on LaSalle
4) Umai Sushi on Paris
Most of the chains have veg*n options, but not much beyond veggie burgers.

Claudia said...

Oh my, that ice cream cake looks amazing!! :-)

soulsearcher said...

and i love the vanilla ice cream too..it would be interesting to see how to videos of these recipes too..i bet it would be fun to make one..i still love your blog anyway

Vita Mix Blender said...

Oh. My. That ice cream cake looks delicious Melissa! Would love the recipe if you have a chance. :)

Sayonara said...

Hi, all your recipes look absolutely delicious! i have just started a veg*n blog and your blog has been such a help to me. thank you.

chris said...

That brownie is calling my name! Where do I find the recipe?

Leslie said...

I was so sad to hear that Books and Beans recently closed. My family lives in Sudbury, and, as far as I know, it was the only place in town that makes soy beverages. I'll be home at Christmas, have you any suggestions for vegan friendly coffee shops (where one isn't inspected to buy a meal)?

Also, your brownies look amazing! It's nearly impossible to bake/buy vegan brownies that aren't cake-y. Can you post the recipe or tell us where the recipe can be found?

Thanks!

Melissa said...

Hi Leslie,
I didn't know Books and Beans used soy! Too bad I never went. Starbucks, attached to the Chapters, has soymilk for use in all beverages, and they occasionally have vegan brownies too!
Also, Old Rock has soy too, and its organic and fair trade coffee. They're downtown across from the arena.
The brownie recipe is from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. Unfortunately, I don't post recipes that aren't mine...sorry! But I highly recommend buying the book!

Melissa

italandveganworld said...

Looks really good!
Great site u have...